Equity & Justice Policy Plan
I will fight racism, sexism, classism, Islamophobia, and homophobia at every level of our government including criminal justice, housing, and education. I pledge to prioritize a person’s basic human rights regardless of race, gender identity, religion, or class.
Criminal Justice Reform and End Police Brutality
- We must fight racism in all aspects of our society, and especially in the Criminal Justice system. Michigan has a 14% African American population, yet our prisons and jails are 49% filled by African Americans.
- Stop funding our prisons more than we fund our schools. 1 out of every 5 taxpayer dollars goes toward corrections.
- We must end the school-to-prison pipeline, and invest resources in schools and after-school activities in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Eliminate the system of cash bail “pay to stay” laws, which privilege people with higher incomes.
- Mandate de-escalization and mental health training for law enforcement officials (pending legislation SB 945)
- Prohibit racial and ethnic profiling by law enforcement. Investigate racial profiling in traffic stops and sentencing. Conduct studies to expose/improve racial profiling in facial identification software
- Prohibit quotas for law enforcement ticketing/arrests.
- Prohibit use-of-force methods such as chokehold and other forms of strangulation.
- Create statewide data sharing between law enforcement divisions and departments to track criminal activity as well as police misconduct
- Improve FOIA permissions regarding use of force, excessive force, conduct complaints associated with law enforcement
- Improve transparency to civilians who may be subject to police surveillance in public places
- Mandate automatic independent investigation of any death or serious injury occurring under police custody
- Create Civilian Complaint Board for reports of police misconduct/excessive force. Reporting on police to police does not work.
- Expand restorative justice systems in the criminal justice system, as well as in our public schools. Remove police presence in public schools.
- End mandatory minimum sentencing laws and increase opportunities for parole, rather than eliminate them. Michigan incarcerates inmates an average of 50% longer than the national average.
- We must improve prison conditions, afford our incarcerated neighbors basic human rights, and expand opportunities for mental health treatment, counseling, and educational opportunities within correctional facilities.
- End Solitary Confinement.
- Provide substance abuse treatment. Addiction is a disease, not a crime.
- Provide returning citizens with resources to secure safe housing and a steady job, including banning the box on housing and employment applications.
- Implement retroactivity in commuting the sentences of people charged with marijuana-related crimes
- Support pathways to citizenship for our undocumented neighbors.
- Oppose ICE raids and fight systems of deportation.
- Support DREAMers, and make it easier, not harder, for immigrants to make a life in this country.
- Oppose the Muslim Ban, celebrate the rich diversity of Detroit and Hamtramck, and ensure that everyone feels welcome here.
- Fight the inhumane practice of separating parents from their children at our Southern border.
- Amend the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act to outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in employment, housing, and education.
- Protect any couple’s right to adopt a child, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Support transgender people, and abolish the law stating a person must have gender-affirming surgery, a name change, and a medical affidavit before they can legally change their gender.
- Protect LGBTQ youth against homelessness, hate crimes and bullying, and provide inclusive physical and mental health services.
- Make HIV prevention and treatment accessible and affordable to all people. Fight homophobia and stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS.
- Close the wage gap for all women. Women in Michigan are overall paid 74 cents for every dollar paid to a man; yet for women of color, the gap is even wider, at 64 cents for black women and 57 cents for Latina women.
- Support a woman’s right to choose. Defend Roe v. Wade and create state legislation that will guarantee a woman’s right to govern her own body.
- Reform Michigan’s paid leave policy, and support parents in caring for their children without compromising their pay.
- Provide cost-free women’s healthcare, including contraception and prenatal services.